Re: BRIN indexes - TRAP: BadArgument

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Emanuel Calvo <3manuek(at)esdebian(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Nicolas Barbier <nicolas(dot)barbier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BRIN indexes - TRAP: BadArgument
Date: 2014-11-08 06:41:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> I just pushed this, after some more minor tweaks. Thanks, and please do
> continue testing!

Here's another small fix for some unused variable warnings. Unfortunately
this Microsoft compiler that I'm using does not know about
__attribute__((unused)), so some warnings are generated for these:

BrinTuple *tmptup PG_USED_FOR_ASSERTS_ONLY;
BrinMemTuple *tmpdtup PG_USED_FOR_ASSERTS_ONLY;
Size tmpsiz PG_USED_FOR_ASSERTS_ONLY;

The attached patch moves these into within the #ifdef USE_ASSERT_CHECKING
section.

I know someone will ask so, let me explain: The reason I don't see a bunch
of other warnings for PG_USED_FOR_ASSERTS_ONLY vars when compiling without
assert checks, is that this Microsoft compiler seems to be ok with
variables being assigned values and the values never being used, but if the
variable is never assigned a value, then it'll warn you of that.

Regards

David Rowley

Attachment Content-Type Size
brin_unused_variables_fix.diff text/plain 762 bytes