WAL File Volume

From: David Morton <davidmorton78(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: WAL File Volume
Date: 2012-09-20 02:13:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

We have a database of around 700Gb ... its fairly busy with a lot of small
transactions.

We generate some times near 100Gb of WAL files per day, this seems like a
lot !! We are looking at a secondary data center for DR so the connection
would need a large amount of bandwidth based on this volume.

Is what we are seeing normal ?
Are there any tunable parameters which will reduce the WAL volume ?

At present we get several WAL's spat out every minutes ... sometimes loads
more when automatic maintenance takes place etc.

Dave