GSoC 2012

From: Maxim Smyatkin <smyatkinmaxim(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-students(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: GSoC 2012
Date: 2012-03-22 13:10:44
Lists: pgsql-students

Hello all!

I am Russian first year Master student. My specialization is Information
Technologies and the subject of my Master's thesis will be related with
DBMSs' internals. My experience in this direction consists of (ordered by
date):
- "The Relational DMBSs" (client side) and "The Modern DBMSs" courses at
the University;
- implementation of Firebird
engine<http://gsql.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/engines/firebird/>for GSQL
project as the course project on the Relational DBMSs;
- about 14 month worked at Red Soft
Corp<http://www.red-soft.biz/en/main_about.html>.
as Red Database (Firebird's fork) core developer. During this period I was
studying Firebird's Internals (read papers, learned the code, got 6-day
master-class on this Subject by Dmitry Emanov - Firebird's lead developer),
was involved in Red Database 2.5 implementation (i have imported features
from Red Database 2.0, fixed some bugs, done several little improvements
and have implemented Group algorithm based on B+-Tree);
- choosing the master degree subject within DBMS internals area and started
studying it more detailed. Also I am getting right now "Architecture of
DBMSs" course at the University based on Hellerstein and Stonebraker
"Readings in Database Systems".

Basing on my knowledge, I think I am able to implement FDW (particular for
wrapping Firebird data). But, as I wrote before, I'm also strongly
interested in DBMS internals. So, if there is any ideas, related with
PostgreSQL's Core, I, probably, will like them even more.
And one another question:) Many projects advise students to do some little
patches to be accepted, but i have not found something about it in
PostgreSQL GSoC 2012 page. I just missed it, or you have another criteria?

Thank you!
Smyatkin Maxim.