Re: random_page_cost = 2.0 on Heroku Postgres

From: Peter van Hardenberg <pvh(at)pvh(dot)ca>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: random_page_cost = 2.0 on Heroku Postgres
Date: 2012-02-11 02:13:07
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> Peter,
>> We've funded some work by Peter Geoghegan to make pg_stat_statements
>> more useful, but the patch is currently sitting in the commitfest in
>> need of a champion. I'd very much like to see it landed.
> Ok, let me review it then ...
>> Between that work, 9.2, and Dimitri's extension whitelist module,
>> pg_stat_statements should be usefully installable by everyone. We'd
>> seriously consider installing it by default, but that would make us
>> Not Vanilla, which is something we avoid very diligently.
> Bummer.  You can get why this would be useful for autotuning, though, yes?

Absolutely! Everything we can do to better monitor users' database
performance without interfering (unduly) with that performance or
affecting their dump/restore cycle is very exciting for us.

Peter van Hardenberg
San Francisco, California
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." -- Kurt Vonnegut