Re: random_page_cost = 2.0 on Heroku Postgres

From: Peter van Hardenberg <pvh(at)pvh(dot)ca>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: random_page_cost = 2.0 on Heroku Postgres
Date: 2012-02-10 21:30:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> On 2/9/12 2:41 PM, Peter van Hardenberg wrote:
> So one thought would be to add in pg_stat_statements to your platform
> ... something I'd like to see Heroku do anyway.  Then you can sample
> this across dozens (or hundreds) of user databases, each with RPC set to
> a slightly different level, and aggregate it into a heat map.

We've funded some work by Peter Geoghegan to make pg_stat_statements
more useful, but the patch is currently sitting in the commitfest in
need of a champion. I'd very much like to see it landed.

Between that work, 9.2, and Dimitri's extension whitelist module,
pg_stat_statements should be usefully installable by everyone. We'd
seriously consider installing it by default, but that would make us
Not Vanilla, which is something we avoid very diligently.

--
Peter van Hardenberg
San Francisco, California