Re: random_page_cost = 2.0 on Heroku Postgres

From: Peter van Hardenberg <pvh(at)pvh(dot)ca>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: random_page_cost = 2.0 on Heroku Postgres
Date: 2012-02-10 21:30:58
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> On 2/9/12 2:41 PM, Peter van Hardenberg wrote:
> So one thought would be to add in pg_stat_statements to your platform
> ... something I'd like to see Heroku do anyway.  Then you can sample
> this across dozens (or hundreds) of user databases, each with RPC set to
> a slightly different level, and aggregate it into a heat map.

We've funded some work by Peter Geoghegan to make pg_stat_statements
more useful, but the patch is currently sitting in the commitfest in
need of a champion. I'd very much like to see it landed.

Between that work, 9.2, and Dimitri's extension whitelist module,
pg_stat_statements should be usefully installable by everyone. We'd
seriously consider installing it by default, but that would make us
Not Vanilla, which is something we avoid very diligently.

Peter van Hardenberg
San Francisco, California
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." -- Kurt Vonnegut