Re: feature request: auto savepoint for interactive psql when in transaction.

From: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Will Leinweber <will(at)heroku(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: feature request: auto savepoint for interactive psql when in transaction.
Date: 2011-09-28 22:18:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Kevin Grittner
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>
>>> ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK ["on" can be a problem in a script file]
>
>> So set it to "interactive".
>
> I think we have an opportunity for a documentation enhancement there.

In the same vein, I think there may also be some room for
discoverability enhancements here in psql, too: I've been using psql
for years and just compensated for want of this feature by being very
careful or annoyed (when that didn't work out). I never knew about this.

Something along the lines of the HINT message emitted from the server,
but I do not know if client-side psql has any prior art for that.

--
fdr