Data Type for Money

From: Carlos Mennens <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Data Type for Money
Date: 2011-12-30 17:41:18
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm trying to understand what is the recommended data type for $ in
PostgreSQL. I've done some research and from what I've gathered, there
are a few options:

1. decimal
2. money

I've read the 'money' data type is non-standard and I should avoid
using this. I see it a bunch of Microsoft SQL Server which I assume
works great but I'm using PostgreSQL and want to make sure I'm ANSI
SQL compliant. I would normally just use 'decimal' however when I'm in
doubt, I use pgAdmin3 as a cheat sheet and upon building a new column,
under 'data type', there is no option for decimal but there is for
money. I'm very confused as I assumed 'money' was a non-standard
option for SQL Server and 'decimal' was the correct value but it's not
an option in the pgAdmin3 GUI.

Any tips and or advice?