Re: Create XML elements from rows

From: Thangalin <thangalin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Create XML elements from rows
Date: 2011-12-28 12:46:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Here is a partial solution to the problem I encountered (the full solution
uses a UNION ALL and the same statement four times):

SELECT
xmlelement( name "bakeware",
xmlconcat(
array_to_string( array_agg(
xmlelement( name "object",
xmlattributes( e.abridge AS "alias" ),
e.name
)
), '')::xml
)
)
FROM
recipe.equipment_group eg,
recipe.equipment e
WHERE
eg.label='bakeware' AND
eg.id = e.equipment_group_id

When all four instances are in place (bakeware, cookware, kitchenware,
utensils), this produces the following XML code:

<cookware/>
(wet)</object></kitchenware>
<utensils/>

A simpler approach would require the following code to work:

Unfortunately, the XML parser does not recognize that that series of
concatenations is well-formed XML.

Is there another approach that I am missing?

Thank you!