set autovacuum=off

From: Alessandro Gagliardi <alessandro(at)path(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: set autovacuum=off
Date: 2012-02-22 23:50:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

I have a database where I virtually never delete and almost never do
updates. (The updates might change in the future but for now it's okay to
assume they never happen.) As such, it seems like it might be worth it to
set autovacuum=off or at least make it so vacuuming hardly ever occurs.
Actually, the latter is probably the more robust solution, though I don't
know how to do that (hence me writing this list). I did try turning
autovacuum off but got:

ERROR: parameter "autovacuum" cannot be changed now
SQL state: 55P02
Not sure what, if anything, I can do about that.

Thanks,
-Alessandro