Re: set autovacuum=off

From: Alessandro Gagliardi <alessandro(at)path(dot)com>
To: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: set autovacuum=off
Date: 2012-02-23 17:35:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

I should have been more clear. I virtually never delete or do updates, but
I insert *a lot*. So the table does change quite a bit, but only in one
direction.

I was unable to disable autovacuum universally (due to the
cant_change_runtime_param error) but I was able to disable it on individual
tables. Still, I know this is heavy handed and sub-optimal. I tried set
autovacuum_naptime='6min' but got the same 55P02 error. Should/can I set
that per table?

I did look at autovacuum_vacuum_threshold and autovacuum_vacuum_scale_**factor
but couldn't make sense out of them. (Besides, I'd probably get the
same 55P02 error if I tried to change them.)