Re: set autovacuum=off

From: Alessandro Gagliardi <alessandro(at)path(dot)com>
To: Peter van Hardenberg <pvh(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: set autovacuum=off
Date: 2012-02-23 22:54:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Peter van Hardenberg <pvh(at)heroku(dot)com>wrote:

> My hunch is still that your issue is lock contention.
>
> How would I check that? I tried looking at pg_locks but I don't know what
to look for.

> We have many customers who do much more than this throughput, though
> I'm not sure what level of resourcing you're current at. You might
> consider experimenting with a larger system if you're having
> performance problems.
>
> Heh. I thought you might say that. :) It's definitely worth considering,
but as youmight expect, I want to exhaust other options first. For
customers who do much more (or even comparable) throughput, can you tell me
how big of a system they require?

Also, as per Andy's suggestion, I'd like to try
doubling checkpoint_segments. However, it appears that that is one of those
variables that I cannot change from pgAdmin. I don't suppose there's any
way to change this without rebooting the database?