Re: From Simple to Complex

From: Alessandro Gagliardi <alessandro(at)path(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: From Simple to Complex
Date: 2012-01-31 23:43:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

I just got a pointer on presenting EXPLAIN ANALYZE in a more human friendly
fashion (thanks, Agent M!): http://explain.depesz.com/s/A9S

From this it looks like the bottleneck happens when Postgres does an Index
Scan using emotions_moment_id_idx on emotions before filtering on
moments.inserted so I thought I'd try filtering on emotions.inserted
instead but that only made it worse. At the same time, I noticed that "FROM
pg_class, moments WHERE moments.tableoid = pg_class.oid" tends to run a bit
faster than "FROM pg_class JOIN moments ON moments.tableoid =
pg_class.oid". So I tried:

SELECT relname, emotion, COUNT(feedback_id)
FROM pg_class, moments, emotions
WHERE moments.tableoid = pg_class.oid
AND emotions.inserted > 'yesterday'
AND moments.inserted BETWEEN 'yesterday' AND 'today'
AND emotions.moment_id = moments.moment_id
GROUP BY relname, emotion
ORDER BY relname, emotion;

That was a bit faster, but still very slow. Here's the EXPLAIN:
http://explain.depesz.com/s/ZdF