Re: insert fail gracefully if primary key already exists

From: Alessandro Gagliardi <alessandro(at)path(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bartosz Dmytrak <bdmytrak(at)eranet(dot)pl>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: insert fail gracefully if primary key already exists
Date: 2012-02-17 18:46:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

With some experimentation, it seems critical that the SELECT statement use
the exact same order of columns as the table (which means I have to fill in
NULL values and the like). That is an acceptable nuisance, but I thought
I'd ask in case there's a better way.

I'm not sure if this approach will work anyway though since I've got
concurrency (about a dozen API servers constantly writing to the database).
Locking tables seems like a bad idea in this case. What would happen if I
didn't lock and I tried this? It seems like it should just throw the same
error I'm already used to getting, though hopefully with less frequency (as
it would only occur if the same insert was attempted twice simultaneously).
Is there any chance I could actually end up getting dupes if I tried this
without a lock?