Re: PostgreSQL website redesign

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: "w^3" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL website redesign
Date: 2012-02-24 14:17:55
Lists: pgsql-www

On 17 November 2011 00:10, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you will no doubt be aware, the PostgreSQL website is overdue for a
> fresh lick of paint, so we are planning to give it a new look in the
> near future.  The plan is to use some existing community funds to
> employ the services of a professional designer who will be able to
> produce the new design.  Some of the community already have experience
> working with the designer in question as they designed the Postgres
> Open website (http://postgresopen.org/), and I think you will agree,
> they did an excellent job.
>
> With that in mind, we want to establish some design goals.  These will include :
> - what is the website's target audience?
> - how do we wish to be perceived? (e.g. traditional, modern, friendly,
> professional etc.)
> - what do we hope to achieve with the website design?
> - what new opportunities does this present us with?
> - what usability problems do we currently have that the redesign could address?
>
> You may have heard it said "there is no spoon".  Similarly, there is
> no bike shed, so there's no colour to paint it.  In other words, the
> gritty details (such as layout, colour, font-size, borders etc.)
> aren't up for discussion at this stage.  Instead, a design committee
> (which has already been selected) shall agree on the final design
> goals, liaise with the designer to discuss the finer details, and to
> ensure our goals are met.
>
> The final design will be licenced under our very own PostgreSQL Licence.
>
> So with that, I'd like to open this topic for discussion.

I had intended to resurrect this topic towards the end of January (so
the majority of people would have returned from any seasonal
holidays), but February it is.

I'll start collating the feedback in the near future, so one last call
for feedback, and an opportunity for those who didn't catch the topic
the first time around.

--
Thom