Re: Server starts, but I can't connect

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: craig(at)mysoftforge(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server starts, but I can't connect
Date: 2011-07-06 07:01:50
Lists: pgsql-novice
On 6 July 2011 02:38, Boyd, Craig <craig(at)mysoftforge(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am running PostgreSQL 8.4 on Kubuntu 11.04.
> The server starts without any issues, but I can not connect.  I keep getting
> an invalid user/password error.
> I am connecting to the localhost, default port, user = postgres, database =
> postgres
> I have tried setting the authentication methods to trust in the pg_hba.conf
> file, but it does not make any difference.

Did you get PostgreSQL to reload the config? "sudo service postgresql reload"

This would tell it to re-read your pg_hba.conf file.

Also note that the order of rows in pg_hba.conf is important too as it
will use the first line that matches login details.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company