PG Newbie

From: "Marc Abbott" <MarcA(at)Medscheme(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PG Newbie
Date: 2008-02-06 07:33:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

This email is subject to a disclaimer which may be found by connecting to www.medscheme.co.za and clicking on the disclaimer link.
Alternatively, the disclaimer can be emailed to you by sending a blank email to "meds_disclaimer(at)medscheme(dot)co(dot)za".

Good Day

I have 4 questions I need help with:

1. Requirement : When a user requests to change his password he
needs to supply his old password.

Question : I use the WITH ENCRYPTED PASSWORD option when creating a new
user, is there a way to validate his old password with the encrypted one
in the database before changing it to the new password?

2. Requirement : I need to expire user accounts on the
database after X amount of days.

Question: Do I use the VALID UNTIL option on the database to get the job
done? Or is there some other way to expire user accounts?

3. Requirement : I need to expire users passwords.

Question : I have read that you can use the valid until option, BUT does
this mean Postgres will prompt the user at next login to change the
password or does it mean some system user will need to move the VALID
UNTIL timestamp to a new date?

4. Requirement: Need to send email from the database.

Question : I have come across the pgMail function, but is there no
PLPGSQL function that can do the same without installing another
procedural language (Tcl). If not could you please point me to where I
can find a HOWTO to get Tcl installed on my DB and HOWTO get the pgMail
setup and working.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Marc