Re: binary protocol, again

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "P(dot) Christeas" <xrg(at)linux(dot)gr>
Cc: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: binary protocol, again
Date: 2012-07-20 17:21:39
Lists: psycopg
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM, P. Christeas <xrg(at)linux(dot)gr> wrote:

>> 3. using PQexecParams instead PQexec
> Yes, when query is eligible.

Uhm... what is an eligible query?

Are you changing the behaviour of the current cursor class or
introducing a new one? I'd go most definitely for the second, as I'm
afraid the first would break a lot of the existing usage.

In particular, what I'd like to see is a protocol ISQLParam, to live
together with the current ISQLQuote, in order to create a clear
distinction between the capabilities of the two cursors and avoid
bloating the current adapters interface.

As a reference, here is the original message of mine, highlighting
some of the features we may get by splitting the two protocols:
<http://archives.postgresql.org/psycopg/2011-02/msg00076.php>.

Cheers,

-- Daniele