Re: [pgsql-www] One click installer a bit bare?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] One click installer a bit bare?
Date: 2011-10-06 16:13:02
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

(Putting this back on PostgreSQL Advocacy, which is where the thread
was started)

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

>> What objection is there to giving users an option to sign up to the
>> Announce list? Is there a problem with the Announce list??
>
> pgAdmin III has supported multiple distributions of PostgreSQL for
> almost as long as I can remember (certainly much longer ago than when
> either you or I started at EDB), not just the community version. One
> argument against adding such a link is that we should then also add
> similar ones to the EDB and EMC/Greenplum sites.
>
> I also stand by my previous argument, that this is not the sort of
> thing we should be cluttering the UI's menus with. The more
> appropriate place for such links is the docs (and I certainly have no
> objection to improvements there).

Why would this "clutter" the menu? It is 1 item, alongside links that
already exist to the websites mentioned.

If we were worried about such clutter, we could enable/disable
depending upon the system type you connect to - so if you connect to
Greenplum it offers you Greenplum help etc, but if you don't it skips
that menu option. I have zero interest in putting options on the menus
of pgadmin when used with other products, only in making sure people
that use open source PostgreSQL get access to the open source
PostgreSQL web site. Call it context-sensitive menus. That would
reduce menu clutter by 2 items - in all cases.