Re: Temporary tables under hot standby

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temporary tables under hot standby
Date: 2012-05-02 16:15:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> I think if implementing global temporary tables only for hot standby
> user (#7), it might be of limited usefulness, but the ability to avoid
> system table churn (#1) means global temporary tables would have a wide
> usefulness, even without hot standby use.

Yes, many parts of Noah's proposal would be useful for normal running.
And as Jim points out, they are SQL Standard, as well as supported by
Oracle and DB2, so again GTTs would hit that TODO item.

And Noah's proposal does take us more than 50%, maybe 80% of the way
to what I think would be most useful for HS.

So overall, I do encourage the proposal.