Re: BUG #6619: Misleading output from slave when host is not running

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: petteri(dot)raty(at)aalto(dot)fi
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6619: Misleading output from slave when host is not running
Date: 2012-04-27 14:16:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM,  <petteri(dot)raty(at)aalto(dot)fi> wrote:

> LOG:  entering standby mode
> WARNING:  WAL was generated with wal_level=minimal, data may be missing
> HINT:  This happens if you temporarily set wal_level=minimal without taking
> a new base backup.
> FATAL:  hot standby is not possible because wal_level was not set to
> "hot_standby" on the master server
> HINT:  Either set wal_level to "hot_standby" on the master, or turn off
> hot_standby here.
> LOG:  startup process (PID 28761) exited with exit code 1
> LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure
>
> The error message above on the FATAL line is wrong (or at least misleading).
> The real problem should be that it can't connect to the master. The
> wal_level on the master is hot_standby (captured after I started it):

The HINT that we should simply set something on the master is a little
misleading with respect to timing. However, if the master and the
standby aren't even connected and you know that, how did you expect
there to be a causal link between the setting on the master and the
state of the standby?

What do you suggest the messages say?