Re: One click installer a bit bare?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: One click installer a bit bare?
Date: 2011-10-06 14:53:40
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

>> OK, if we don't want to put that there, why not add it as a menu item
>> to pgadmin?
>>
>> That way we'll catch people even after they've run installer.
>
> We don't even have the pgAdmin mailing lists on the pgAdmin menus
> (they're in the Helpfile). I'm not sure I can recall any software that
> has such links on it's menus, at least not professionally produced
> products.

...investigates...

pgAdmin has links to the Slony, EDB and EMC websites but nothing to
the pgadmin or postgresql websites.

Not really sure why that would be and it is something we can do. This
is open source software which can be used freely without registration,
so this situation is different from most other software which you will
already have registered with by the time you use it.

What objection is there to giving users an option to sign up to the
Announce list? Is there a problem with the Announce list??