Re: One click installer a bit bare?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: One click installer a bit bare?
Date: 2011-10-06 17:16:34
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

>> If we were worried about such clutter, we could enable/disable
>> depending upon the system type you connect to - so if you connect to
>> Greenplum it offers you Greenplum help etc, but if you don't it skips
>> that menu option.
>
> pgAdmin can connect to multiple database servers at once. Further to
> that, one of the basic design rule of GUI applications is that you
> don't show and hide menu options on the main menus because it confuses
> users (that is only done on the "real" context sensitive menus, which
> are accessible elsewhere, in predictable places).

pgAdmin's behaviour is already context sensitive. This would be the same.

>> I have zero interest in putting options on the menus
>> of pgadmin when used with other products, only in making sure people
>> that use open source PostgreSQL get access to the open source
>> PostgreSQL web site. Call it context-sensitive menus. That would
>> reduce menu clutter by 2 items - in all cases.
>
> Just because you have zero interest in it, it doesn't mean that the
> pgAdmin developers or other users have zero interest in it. The
> project has always taken pride in supporting forks of Postgres.

You misunderstand. I have no interest in showing an EDB or Greenplum
user an option to reach the PostgreSQL web site. What private
companies do is their own affair, not mine.

My interest is in having a PostgreSQL user have access to the
PostgreSQL website and announce list. That can be put on the
PostgreSQL installer or pgadmin (when included with the PostgreSQL
distribution at least). I don't mind which, but it needs to be in at
least one of those places.

pgAdmin was only suggested because you said putting it on the
installer was somehow a problem.