Re: pgsql: Fast promote mode skips checkpoint at end of recovery.

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Fast promote mode skips checkpoint at end of recovery.
Date: 2013-01-29 13:23:29
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 29 January 2013 12:19, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:

> You might want to bring the database up ASAP after restoring. If the user
> requests that, the system shouldn't second-guess that.

In later releases we can relax further, if that is justified. I call
this acting conservatively in the interests of robustness.

> PS. I think the implicit judgment you made that "pg_ctl promote" is now the
> preferred method of promoting the server, over the trigger file method,
> needs more discussion. I'm not sure I agree with that, but if we do that,
> the docs should emphasize the pg_ctl promote more than the trigger file.

So why did you commit a second method?

> Also, I don't like conflating the shutdown mode argument with promotion mode
> either, in pg_ctl. Perhaps it would be best to revert this and take some
> more time to discuss the right behavior and user interface for this (if it
> needs one).

I don't think so. This was discussed on list. You are asking for
additional features, which I've explained why they aren't added by me.
We have time left to add them, but these minor points aren't more
important than other patches in the queue.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/