Removing special case OID generation

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Removing special case OID generation
Date: 2012-02-07 13:46:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Recent events have made me notice the OID handling.

AFAICS, OIDs are just a sequence with a max value that fits in a uint.

So ISTM that we should just strip out the OID handling code and just
have a system sequence defined like this

   MAXVALUE 4294967296
   CACHE 8192

Which would then make it easier to have a sequence for each toast
table and a sequence for lobs.

Not sure its important now, but maybe it will reduce the size of the
executable and avoid oid-specific bugs.

 Simon Riggs