Re: Space-GiST

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Space-GiST
Date: 2012-05-11 12:11:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 11 May 2012 12:01, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 May 2012, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Will PostgreSQL be the first production database to have a
>> space-partitioned-tree implementation, or does someone else have it
>> already?

More to the point: how does PostgreSQL implement them?

AFAICS the docs on that are completely absent. The docs mention kdtree
and quadtree but there is zero further discussion on how and when to
use them. (It says "read the source code"....)

How do you create an SP-GIST index? When would you?
How do you ask for kdtree? Which is the default: quad tree or kdtree?
What is the difference between them? Why have both?

I think we need to add that information before we add that to the
release notes as a major new feature.