Re: BUG #6094: Streaming replication does not catch up when writing enough data

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: David Hartveld <david(dot)hartveld(at)mendix(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6094: Streaming replication does not catch up when writing enough data
Date: 2011-07-07 12:24:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM, David Hartveld
<david(dot)hartveld(at)mendix(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      6094
> Logged by:          David Hartveld
> Email address:      david(dot)hartveld(at)mendix(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.1-beta2
> Operating system:   Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.2 "Squeeze"
> enough data
> Details:
>
> After creation of two new clusters, and setting them up as master and slave
> (in async mode, according to the current 9.1 docs), the execution of a large
> SQL script (creating a db, tables, sequences, etc., filling them with data
> through COPY) runs properly on the master, but does not stream to the slave,
> i.e. the slave does not catch up. In the master log, the following line is
> printed many times:

Your output indicates that there is a problem in your replication
setup and this is why the slave does not catch up.

This is not a performance issue. It is either a bug in replication, or
a user configuration issue. Since few things have changed in 9.1 in
this area, at the moment the balance of probablity if user error. If
you can provide a more isolated bug report we may be able to
investigate.

This is being discussed in a thread on the General list and there is
no reason to post twice.