Re: Cascading replication: should we detect/prevent cycles?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Cascading replication: should we detect/prevent cycles?
Date: 2013-01-09 09:11:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 9 January 2013 01:51, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> Anyway, I'm not saying we solve this now.  I'm saying, "put it on the
> TODO list in case someone has time/an itch to scratch".

I think its reasonable to ask whether a usability feature needs to
exist whenever a problem is encountered. That shouldn't need to
translate to a new feature/TODO every time we ask the question though.

IMHO, in this case, we should document this as an issue that can
happen and we should caution that careful testing is required.