Re: Improve compression speeds in pg_lzcompress.c

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improve compression speeds in pg_lzcompress.c
Date: 2013-01-07 09:57:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7 January 2013 09:19, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:
> On 1/7/2013 1:10 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

>> So why don't we use LZ4?
>
> what will changing compression formats do for compatability?
>
> this is for the compressed data in pg_toast storage or something? will this
> break pg_upgrade style operations?

Anything that changes on-disk format would need to consider how to do
pg_upgrade. It's the major blocker in that area.

For this, it would be possible to have a new format and old format
coexist, but that will take more time to think through than we have
for this release, so this is a nice idea for further investigation in
9.4. Thanks for raising that point.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/