Re: Group commit, revised

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Group commit, revised
Date: 2012-01-30 19:55:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 30.01.2012 17:18, Simon Riggs wrote:

>> I asked clearly and specifically for you to hold back committing
>> anything. Not sure why you would ignore that and commit without
>> actually asking myself or Peter. On a point of principle alone, I
>> think you should revert. Working together is difficult if
>> communication channels are openly ignored and disregarded.
> You must be referring to this:
> What I committed in the end was quite different from the version that was in
> reply to, too. If you have a specific objection to the patch as committed,
> please let me know.

I said "There is much yet to discuss so please don't think about committing
anything yet."

There's not really any way you could misinterpret them.

>> Peter and I have been working on a new version that seems likely to
>> improve performance over your suggestions. We should be showing
>> something soon.
> Please post those ideas, and let's discuss them. If it's something simple,
> maybe we can still sneak them into this release. Otherwise, let's focus on
> the existing patches that are pending review or commit.

If you really did want to discuss it, it would have taken you 5
minutes to check whether there was consensus on the patch before
committing it. Your actions betray the opposite of a willingness to
discuss anything.

Yes, I'd like to discuss ideas, not just ram home a half-discussed and
half-finished patch that happens to do things the way you personally
prefer, overriding all inputs.

Especially when you know we're working on another version.

 Simon Riggs