Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory
Date: 2013-03-28 12:45:28
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 28 March 2013 11:36, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> No, it *would* take effect. The parameter is set in a config file that
>> is not part of the backup, so if you start the server from the backup
>> then it doesn't know that the recovery_config_directory had been set
>> and so it would read the recovery.conf written by pg_basebackup.
>
> Are you saying pg_basebackup doesn't back up postgresql.conf? I thought it did.

postgresql.conf will be backed up if it is present in the data
directory. If it is not present, it is not backed up.

Therefore anybody using pg_basebackup and the config_file parameter
does *not* have an executable backup when used with the -R option, as
Heikki was suggesting was a requirement for this patch. So if we
regard that as a bug with the patch, then there is a bug with -R
with/without the patch.

pg_basebackup's behaviour with respect to .conf files is undocumented
so its a "feature" that it skips .conf files in the config_file case.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/