Re: Download not found for postgreSQL 9.1 for both SUSE and Red Hat on IBM Power (ppc)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Eye Gee <eyegee(at)cmg(dot)com(dot)my>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Download not found for postgreSQL 9.1 for both SUSE and Red Hat on IBM Power (ppc)
Date: 2012-04-01 00:46:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:02 AM, Eye Gee <eyegee(at)cmg(dot)com(dot)my> wrote:
> Referring to the document for PostgreSQL 9.1 supported platforms
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/supported-platforms.html, it is
> mentioned that
> 1.  In general, PostgreSQL can be expected to work on these CPU
> architectures: x86, x86_64, IA64, PowerPC, PowerPC 64, S/390, S/390x, Sparc,
> Sparc 64, Alpha, ARM, MIPS, MIPSEL, M68K, and PA-RISC.
> 2. PostgreSQL can be expected to work on these operating systems: Linux (all
> recent distributions), Windows (Win2000 SP4 and later), FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
> NetBSD, Mac OS X, AIX, HP/UX, IRIX, Solaris, Tru64 Unix, and UnixWare.
>
> I would like to find out whether postgreSQL 9.1 is supported for both SUSE
> and Red Hat on IBM Power (ppc). From the above it seems that it is
> supported however I am unable to find the download links for both SUSE and
> Red Hat on IBM Power.
>
> On the SUSE site I am only able to find download for i586 and x86_64 only.
> (http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=postgres&baseproject=SUSE%3ASLE-11%3ASP1&lang=en&exclude_debug=true)
> On rpm repositories site I am able to find repo packages for Red Hat
> Enterprise for i386 and x86_64 only.
> (http://yum.postgresql.org/repopackages.php )
>
> What is the latest version of postgreSQL supported for  SUSE and Red Hat on
> IBM Power (ppc) ? Is it still supported or not going to be released for
> postgreSQL 9.1? If it is still supported please send me the download links
> for both SUSE and Red Hat on IBM Power.

I think you're confusing the question of platform support with the
question of package availability. If you're running a Linux
distribution such as SUSE or Red Hat, the easiest way to install
PostgreSQL is by using your operating system's package management tool
- e.g., on Red Hat:

yum list available 'postgresql*'
yum install postgresql-server postgresql (and any others you want)

I don't know the corresponding commands for SuSE, but I'm sure they
exist. The packages at http://yum.postgresql.org/repopackages.php are
alternative packages published by the PostgreSQL project itself, which
can be useful if (for example) your operating system vendor is
shipping an older version, and you want the latest and greatest. But
you're only going to find pre-built binary packages there for the most
popular version/distribution/architecture combinations. If you are
running something more obscure and don't want to use your OS vendor's
packages, you can still compile it yourself, and it should work fine.
I've done a bunch of testing recently on PPC64 and it works great.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company