Re: Minimising windows installer password confusion

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, dharmendra(dot)goyal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, sachin(dot)srivastava(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au
Subject: Re: Minimising windows installer password confusion
Date: 2012-06-12 13:57:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>> Oh, I certainly wouldn't do it without *informing* and verifying it
>> with the user.
>
> That'll add additional steps for all users, and likely confuse the
> novices even more.

The real issue here is that it's nuts to tell the user "please enter
either a new password or the password for the account that already
exists, but I'm not telling you which one".

What we need is to display a different dialogue based on the situation.

If the account already exists, we should say "Please enter the
password for the existing postgres account.  If you do not know the
password, you can reset it using the Windows control panel."

But if it doesn't already exist, we should say "The installer will
create a postgres account on this machine.  Please enter a password
for the new account."

If we can do that, all of these problems will go away.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company