Re: Tracing in Postgres

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Harshitha S <hershetha(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tracing in Postgres
Date: 2011-07-25 15:17:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 12:59 AM, Harshitha S <hershetha(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I want to retain all the error messages, error report that is used by
> Postgres.
> I don't intend to log any information extra other than what is provided by
> Postgres.
> But I just want to replace the implementation of the logging/tracing in
> Postgres, so that the existing messages can be redirected to a file, a USB
> etc., There is an existing tracing frameworkfor this,I intend to use the API
> s provided by this framework.

I'd suggest that you look at adding the functionality you are
interested in to the logging collector, rather than putting it
directly in elog.c.  That's pretty much exactly what the logging
collector is designed to do, so you'd be extending or adjusting
existing functionality, rather than reinventing the wheel.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company