Re: psql \l to accept patterns

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql \l to accept patterns
Date: 2013-01-07 20:53:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> Here is a patch for psql's \l command to accept patterns, like \d
> commands do.  While at it, I also added an "S" option to show system
> objects and removed system objects from the default display.  This might
> be a bit controversial, but it's how it was decided some time ago that
> the \d commands should act.

-1 from me on that last bit.  I don't think that you can really
compare the postgres or template1 database to, say, the pg_toast
schema.  There's no real reason for people to ever care about objects
in the pg_toast schema, but the same cannot be said about template1,
which it's often necessary to connect to when running many of the
commands (vacuumdb -a, etc.) we ship with our distribution.  I think
this will just be confusing to users without any real upside.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company