Re: some longer, larger pgbench tests with various performance-related patches

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: some longer, larger pgbench tests with various performance-related patches
Date: 2012-01-25 13:49:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I think we should be working to commit XLogInsert and then Group
> Commit, then come back to the discussion.

I definitely agree that those two have way more promise than anything
else on the table.  However, now that I understand how badly we're
getting screwed by checkpoints, I'm curious to do some more
investigation of what's going on there.  I can't help thinking that in
these particular cases the full page writes may be a bigger issue than
the checkpoint itself.  If that turns out to be the case it's not
likely to be something we're able to address for 9.2, but I'd like to
at least characterize it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company