Re: recent ALTER whatever .. SET SCHEMA refactoring

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: recent ALTER whatever .. SET SCHEMA refactoring
Date: 2013-01-08 13:04:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 4:05 AM, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp> wrote:
> Does it make sense an idea to invoke AlterFunctionNamespace_oid()
> or AlterCollationNamespace_oid() from AlterObjectNamespace_internal()
> for checks of namespace conflicts?
> It can handle special cases with keeping modularity between common
> and specific parts. Let's consider function pointer when we have mode
> than 5 object classes that needs special treatment.

Unless I'm gravely mistaken, we're only talking about a handful of
lines of code.  We have lots of functions, in objectaddress.c for
example, whose behavior is conditional on the type of object that they
are operating on.  And we just write out all the cases.  I'm not
understanding why we need to take a substantially more complex
approach here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company