Re: CREATE USER

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE USER
Date: 2012-05-02 17:09:39
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
>>> Well, I know we support the new pg_dump dumping back to 7.1, but I don't
>>> know what our policy is for accepting old dumps.
>>
>> We're still going to very large lengths to load pre-7.3 dumps; see
>> for instance ConvertTriggerToFK() in trigger.c.  I'm not aware of any
>> policy that would suggest blowing off pre-8.1 dumps should be
>> acceptable.  Yeah, it's true that the *recommended* procedure is to
>> use the newer pg_dump, but people aren't always in a position to do
>> that.
>>
>> I think it might be sane to emit a WARNING suggesting that CREATEUSER
>> might not mean what you think, but failing is probably not good.
>>

> are we going to do this in this release?
> i never was able to think in a good phrasing for this, though

I actually think we should just leave this alone.  There is a
limitless number of things that someone could potentially be confused
by if they fail to read the documentation, and we can't warn about all
of them.

Now, one thing we could do is add a deprecation warning, stating that
CREATEUSER may be removed in a future release, assuming we want to
eventually remove it.  But I don't think warning people that
CREATEUSER means SUPERUSER and not CREATEROLE is very helpful.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company