Re: Discrepancy in 9.1 Documentation on CREATE ROLE

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Ron Adams <ron(at)constellationmedia(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Discrepancy in 9.1 Documentation on CREATE ROLE
Date: 2011-10-12 16:31:26
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:59 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> I think removing them from the docs but continuing to accept them makes
>>> sense.  We do still hear from people migrating from 7.4 or older, and
>>> it's not always going to be practical for them to make a dump with a
>>> newer pg_dump.
>
>> Personally, I loathe all that is undocumented.  But that might just be me.
>
> Well, could we bury the documentation in some corner where newbies
> wouldn't find it?

Maybe. At this point I'm inclined to think that what I already did
(turn the words "CREATE USER" into a link) is probably sufficient
given that we have only a single report of this being confusing. I
didn't even back-patch it, since I can't remember any similar reports
in the past. If it keeps coming up, then we might need to get out a
bigger hammer, but my reason for wanting to get rid of the options was
less about avoiding confusion than about thinking that they're likely
totally obsolete and worthless at this point; given that you and Bruce
disagree, I'd be inclined to just keep them for now and see if anyone
else complains.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company