Re: casting between range types

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: casting between range types
Date: 2011-08-31 16:08:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 31.08.2011 18:09, Jeff Davis wrote:

>>> Can you only provide casts that make sense, like between int4 and
>>> numeric range types, and leave out the ones that don't?
>>
>> There are certainly some casts that make sense, like
>> int4range->int8range. Do you think int4range->numrange also makes sense?
>
> Not sure. It depends on whether you think of '[1,8]'::int4range as a finite
> set of the integers between 1 and 8, or as a continuous range from 1 to 8. I
> don't see harm in providing explicit casts like that, but I would be very
> conservative with implicit and assignment casts.

+1 for that approach. It's really annoying when you can't explicitly
cast between data types, and it might be that you just allow coercion
via I/O functions since it's unlikely to be a performance-critical
operation. But I can't see why you would want any implicit or
assignment casts at all.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company