Re: query cache

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Billy Earney <billy(dot)earney(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: query cache
Date: 2012-03-30 00:54:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> It's also probably worth keeping in mind the next time we
>> bump the protocol version: it would be nice to have a way of doing
>> prepare-bind-execute in a single protocol message, which I believe to
>> be not possible at present.
>
> Huh?  That's the standard way of doing it, actually.  You send
> Prepare/Bind/Execute/Sync in one packet, and wait for results.

That precludes some optimizations, like doing the whole thing under
the same snapshot, since you don't know for sure when the Execute will
be sent. And as a practical matter, it's slower. So there's some
room for improvement there, any way you slice it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company