Re: NULL's support in SP-GiST

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NULL's support in SP-GiST
Date: 2012-03-07 20:36:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> wrote:
>> attached patch introduces NULLs indexing for SP-GiST. With this patch
>> Sp-GiST supports IS NULL, IS NOT NULL clauses, as well as full index scan.
>
> I was looking at this.
> It passes all regression tests, and seems to work fine.
>
> What i don't like about it is that spgnull.c actually call GIN
> functions and even uses GIN flags. Don't know how bad it is, but IMO
> there is a module violation here.

That certainly doesn't sound like a good thing.

I guess the question is whether this is a stop-ship item for spgist.
If it is, then we're going to have to spend the time to fix this, but
if not, then since it was submitted more than two weeks after the
start of the CommitFest, it seems we should postpone it to 9.3.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company