Re: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"
Date: 2013-01-03 17:27:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> This is what I did with my sample pl/python function ;)

Yeah, except that the "c" in "ctime" does not stand for create, and
therefore the function isn't necessarily reliable.  The problem is
even worse for tables, where a rewrite may remove the old file and
create a new one.  I mean, I'm not stupid about this: when I need to
figure this kind of stuff out, I do in fact look at the file times -
mtime, ctime, atime, whatever there is.  Sometimes that turns out to
be helpful, and sometimes it doesn't.  An obvious example of the
latter is when you're looking at a bunch of files that have just been
untarred from a backup device.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company