Re: Inlining comparators as a performance optimisation

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inlining comparators as a performance optimisation
Date: 2011-12-01 17:15:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Attached is revision of my patch with some clean-ups. In particular,
> I'm now using switch statements for greater readability, plus
> supporting fast path sorting of the time datatype. I've also updated
> the documentation on "Date/Time Types" to note the additional
> disadvantage of using the deprecated "store timestamp + friends as
> double precision floating-point numbers" compile time option.

One thing I'm starting to get a bit concerned about is the effect of
this patch on the size of the resulting binary. The performance
results you've posted are getting steadily more impressive as you get
into this, which is cool, but it seems like the number of copies of
the qsort logic that you're proposing to include in the resulting
binary is also steadily climbing. On my system, a stripped postgres
binary built with my usual compile options (except --enable-cassert,
which I took out) is 49336 bytes bigger with this patch applied, an
increase of close to 1%. We might need to be a little bit choosy
about this, because I don't think that we want to end up with a
situation where some noticeable percentage of the final binary
consists of differently-inlined versions of the quicksort algorithm -
especially because there may be other places where we want to do
similar kinds of inlining.

Thoughts?

--
Robert Haas