Re: 9.2 release notes, beta time?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.2 release notes, beta time?
Date: 2012-04-25 18:59:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I had hoped to complete the release notes by March 30, but travel and
>> catching up on old stuff has delayed that.  I will start working on them
>> now and have them ready before we start beta.  If that is a problem,
>> please let me know.
>
> Well, we aren't ready for beta today anyway, AFAICT.
>
> Would it be reasonable to shoot for wrapping 9.2beta1 next week?
> (That would mean a wrap on Thursday May 3, if we follow the usual
> type of release schedule.)

I suspect that's a bit aggressive. We have a couple of issues that I
think we should fix before beta1:

- the pg_stat_statements cleanups we were discussing on the other
thread, since that's going to involve changing column names/types
- the Hot Standby vs. index-only scans stuff, which needs a WAL format
change, and is my top priority as soon as I get unburied
- SP-GiST is unsafe for use by hot standby slaves, since I think
queries returning wrong answers = bad
- http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1333124720-sup-6193@alvh.no-ip.org

I'm not sure we can commit to a timeline for beta until we know who is
taking care of each of those things.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company