Re: BUG #6281: need to remove

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jim Jackson (817) 233-2385" <jimjackson(at)judgefite(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6281: need to remove
Date: 2011-11-06 05:35:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Jim Jackson (817) 233-2385
<jimjackson(at)judgefite(dot)com> wrote:
> The postgreSQL was a separate installation step that had to be done
> separately from the poker software load to support the poker software. After
> it was loaded it would not respond to the passwords that were provided so
> neither functioned. I did not bother with it for a while then realized I no
> longer have access to my files such as my Outlook.pst file that are in the
> Local Settings directory.
>
> Are you saying there is no other way to get rid of this?

Oh, I'm sure it's possible to get rid of it. I doubt that will
magically fix your Access Denied errors, though. You haven't
explained why you think those things are connected, and my guess is
they aren't.

People on this mailing list are going out of their way to help you
because no one here wants you to walk away with a bad impression of
PostgreSQL. But the fact is that you haven't really provided nearly
enough information to actually help you. You've provided some
out-takes from our manual, which proves that however you installed
PostgreSQL, that process also installed the manual. But, uh, so what?
If you had installed PostgreSQL using the usual PostgreSQL
installers, you would be able to uninstall it using Add/Remove
Programs. If you can't, then either you used some other installer or
there's something else weird going on on your system. But if it was
another installer, where did it come from? If there's something else
screwed up on the machine, what is it? It's pretty well impossible
for anyone on this mailing list to know those things. And even if we
did, and could tell you how to get PostgreSQL uninstalled from your
machine, I don't think that's going to fix the permissions on your
home directory.

My guess is that you've got a lot of random junk installed on this
machine, not just PostgreSQL. That's partly based on what you've
said, but mostly based on the fact that nearly every Windows machine
I've ever seen has a lot of random junk installed on it. You might be
better off taking it to your local computer shop, rather than
consulting this mailing list. Somebody who can actually sit down in
front of the computer can probably fix up whatever is wrong with it in
an hour or two, or at least tell you what will be required to get it
fixed. There are several people on this mailing list (not including
me, I'm afraid) who are knowledgeable enough to talk you through
fixing just about whatever you real problem is here, but whether they
want to volunteer their time to fix a problem that's probably only
tangentially related to PostgreSQL - if at all - I'm not sure.
Getting someone knowledgeable to sit down in front of the computer and
poke at it a bit seems likely to get you the results you are looking
for quite a bit more quickly.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company