Re: Compile Source Code

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Jiby James <jamesjiby(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compile Source Code
Date: 2012-06-28 09:14:02
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

[Please keep the mailing list CC'd]

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Jiby James <jamesjiby(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I am working on a Debian 32bit squeeze version. I want to connect to a
> postgresql server
>                                                                     by using
> pgadmin. But the version of pgadmin that come up with debian is
> not compatible to connect to the version of pstgresql installed on my
> server.
>
> So i downloaded source code of  latest version pgadmin3-1.14.3.tar.gz. All
> the necessary dependencies are also installed.
>
> When i compile the file using ./configure, it says
>
> configure: error: Could not find your PostgreSQL installation. You might
> need to use the --with-pgsql=DIR configure option
>
> How can i specify remote server name in --with-pgsql option

You cannot use a remote server when compiling. That option is used to
specify where to find libpq and the headers I mentioned earlier are,
if they cannot be found in a number of "usual" places.

For example, if you build and install PostgreSQL with something like:
"./configure --prefix=/opt/postgres-9.1", then you would need to tell
pgAdmin the same path, eg. "./configure
--with-pgsql=/opt/postgres-9.1".

Another cause of this issue is that you have PostgreSQL installed in
one of the default locations, but the headers for libpq are not
installed. Make sure you have the -devel or -dev packages installed as
well in that case (on Debian, I believe you need the libpq-dev
package).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com