Re: Fwd: PGadmin Schema/DDL VCS plugin ...

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: David Vaillancourt <david_v(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: PGadmin Schema/DDL VCS plugin ...
Date: 2011-12-15 15:17:33
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM, David Vaillancourt
<david_v(at)sympatico(dot)ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to start implementing a version control system to be used
> to track Schema/DDL changes for a DB.
> I have compiled and run Pgadmin iii on my computer and figured the
> current plugin architecture would not be a perfect fit for this new feature.

We had version control for database objects in pgAdmin II - when we
started on pgAdmin III, a survey revealed it was a feature that
literally no one (except me at the time) wanted.

I'd be very wary of accepting code to implement such functionality
again, unless there were others who saw benefit in it, and it was
going to be relatively low maintenance in the long term.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company