Re: Altering column collation

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Altering column collation
Date: 2011-07-19 20:07:16
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 09:32 +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 00:48 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > Attached is a patch which fixes #328.  Currently if you change a
>> > column's collation, it actually drops the column.  This changes it so
>> > that it issues an ALTER TYPE to adjust the collation instead.
>> >

>> Pushed on master. Thanks for yet another patch :)
>>
>> I didn't push it on 1.14 yet. The patch doesn't work here, and I guess
>> it's because I didn't push your previous patch. I'm not sure on the best
>> move here. Should we simply remove the bug (no change detected when
>> changing collation on the column properties dialog)? or should we apply
>> both patches (which will give us bugfix, and better handling of
>> columns)? Any ideas?
>>

> Dave, I would like to know what you think of this.

Err, I never even looked at the collation feature. Let's see what Thom
comes up with following your comment that it applies but doesn't work,
and argue about it then if necessary. Looking back at the thread
though, it does seem like a bug that should be resolved.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company