Re: libedit memory stomp is apparently fixed in OS X Lion

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libedit memory stomp is apparently fixed in OS X Lion
Date: 2011-08-01 20:38:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Monday, August 1, 2011, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 07:17:00PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:

>> > What is it about a GPLed psql client that is a non-starter for the
>> > installer? I'm not a fan of the GPL, but in this case, the
>> > effects of linking it in are quite limited in scope, i.e. they
>> > pertain to exactly one binary.
>>
>> The scope or number of files is irrelevant. Having just a single
>> GPL'd file in those installers makes it impossible for ISVs to
>> bundle them with their products, unless they open source them under
>> a GPL compatible licence.
>
> I know of no one, not even the wackiest AGPL loony-tune, who claims
> that the GPL is infectious to the degree you're describing. Are you
> *sure* the reason you state is the actual reason?

Well, lets find out. Try shipping a closed-source product which includes the
GPL MySQL ODBC driver, and see how long you can hold out against Oracle's
attack lawyers.

Preventing open source code being used in closed source products is the
whole point of the GPL.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com