Re: Time series aggregation

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Yelai, Ramkumar IN BLR STS" <ramkumar(dot)yelai(at)siemens(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time series aggregation
Date: 2012-06-28 08:56:27
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:21 AM, Yelai, Ramkumar IN BLR STS
<ramkumar(dot)yelai(at)siemens(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I use to shutdown the postgresql server by stopping the service, followed by that pgAgent server is automatically stopped.
>
> However I am getting the following error message in service logger, while shutdown server.
>
> Postgresql Service error message
>
> The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( PostgreSQL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: FATAL:  terminating connection due to administrator command
>
> Pgadmin error message
>
> Failed to query jobs table!
>
> The PostgreSQL Scheduling Agent - pgAgent service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 7 time(s).
>
> It looks like pgAgent is not properly shutdown as you said.

Well that's what happened this time - you killed the database
underneath it which it doesn't particularly like. That's not quite the
issue I was describing though; I was saying that the only time the
agent resets the nextrun time at startup is if it gets shutdown when
the job is running (which can be because the database server dies
underneath it, or the agent itself is shutdown). That results in a
"zombie", ie. a job which is assigned to an agent that's no longer
running. We really have no choice but to reset in that case because
it's safer not to re-run a job that may have partially completed, than
to run it and potentially damage data. This way, the user can manually
cleanup any fallout from the partially completed job.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company